In an effort to maintain health and wellness, I've done some research on chia seeds and flax. I decided they were easy, affordable ways to incorporate more fiber and nutrition into my diet. In case you aren't aware of the health benefits of chia seeds, they include:
- Helping with weight loss - they reduce food cravings
- Extend the substance of foods - adding chia seeds to a smoothie will make it last longer in your system so that you feel full longer and don't get hungry as quickly
- Hydration - the gel chia seeds form is a great way to hydrate your body (especially for athletes)
- Reduce blood pressure
- Omega-3 - fights heart disease
- Controls blood sugar (great for diabetic patients)
- Easier to digest than flax seeds (and easier to consume - no need to grind them)
Honestly, you can't taste chia seeds when adding them to yogurt or smoothies. They give a little texture to the food and all the benefits are well worth it.
I tried a new workout this week, too. I have taken kickboxing before, but this was on a totally different level. This class is in a building where boxers/fighters train. The man that leads the class trains boxers, karate students, fighters, etc. Not to mention he had an abundance of knowledge on exercise and strength training that he shared throughout the class. I have to admit, I was super sore for 2 days after! However, the class is well worth the 30 minute drive and $5 price tag. I will definitely go again.
Here is how my week looked:
Monday: 2 mile walk with dogs, 3 miles run
Tuesday: 1 hour kickboxing class
Thursday: 2 mile walk with dogs
Friday: 2 mile walk with dogs, 3 miles run
I have a total of 34/52 miles in May so I've already accomplished Nikki's 30in30 and I'm going to keep going! I love when you set a goal and then go above and beyond!
Link up your health and fitness goal from this week below!